RetroRoleplaying Forum
January 21, 2022, 03:21:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What's Wrong With Not Liking Current RPGs?

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Wrong With Not Liking Current RPGs?  (Read 5538 times)
evernevermore
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 11:30:36 am »

Sorry about Necroing this thread but I want to trot out my spin on this line of reasoning.

I dont think there is anything wrong with not liking current RPGs, provided you actually give the rules a read through. If you instantly shoot down a game because its from after 1989 your being as bad as the people who insist that you play the "one true RPG".

Some new games have design concepts that I think are either much more intuitive or just simply better then old ones, but that doesnt mean the game itself is better. I'm currently DMing a D&D4 campaign and Im finding that while some parts of the rules are neat and have alot of potential I really miss the open framework or something like D&D Basic - but thats partially due to my style of GMing too. I dont know 4e as intimately as I am beginning to believe I need to, as it has as many quirks and issues as the old chart heavy games like Rolemaster. On the other hand my campaign of Dark Heresy flows much much smooter (partly because of some good players) because the mentality that the game is written in. Much like Classic Battletech and the good parts of 2nd ed. AD&D there are tons of optional rules I can use as a tool kit, in addition to a relatively intuitive ruleset. Its actually fairly easy to run a session with nothing but scratch paper, the GMs screen for some stats and a couple handfuls of d100s, which is hard to believe given how many percentile charts are hidden away in the core book.

Im definately shifting towards the D&D Rules Cyclopedia or Microlite74 in my D&D ideas but with elements of 4e and others spliced in (ascending ac and to hit works better for many players in my experience and the concept of bloodied and healing surges intrigue me)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum