RetroRoleplaying Forum
July 05, 2022, 06:42:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What Versions of TSR D&D have you played?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What Versions of TSR D&D have you played?  (Read 3598 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:37:01 pm »

I have played (and GMed) everything but Second Edition AD&D (although I did run a short Spelljammer campaign with Rules Cyclopedia D&D rules). I started with Original D&D back in 1975 and moved to more or less First Edition Advanced D&D as the rulebooks came out (one a year!). I found AD&D a bit too confining and started using the first Basic and Expert Sets when they were published along side AD&D. When the BECMI sets began to appear I completely abandoned AD&D for them (and the later Rules Cyclopedia). I never even tried Second Edition AD&D, although I, as I mentioned, I did use the Spelljammer setting from a short D&D campaign.

Oddly enough, I now like First Edition AD&D better than I did back in the day. I appreciate it more and time has passed so I no longer see the game as an attempt to turn roleplaying into something like a chess tournament.  Gary seemed enamored of that idea back in the day, but he got over it -- and so have I. LOL.

What versions of TSR D&D have you played?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ComW
Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:41:12 am »

2nd ed, briefly (2 xcharacters. I need to dig out the sheets)

3d ed even more briefly

3.5 ed ONCE and Dmed once. the system is fine but I dislike the "origional" fantasy varient classes. (Love D20 modern/future but thats cos the bases classes simplify the rules)
Report Spam   Logged
Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 04:03:40 am »

Started with Holmes in 1980 and may have fumbled my way through a couple of sessions as DM while trying to work out the game (memory is a bit foggy). Quickly moved onto 1e and found the game I love still today. Owned the B/X and bought the BECMI box sets as they were being released (although I missed out on the last one), but I only ever used these for designing adventures, never actually played a Basic game back then. Had a few sessions with 2e and later spent a year playing 3e, before the advent of 3.5 (which I never played). I can't say the latter two did much for me.

These days I'm still playing 1e and look forward to trying the various retro-clones, as well as OD&D (I have all the original books). At the moment I'm in the middle of typing up a revised version of the Holmes rules that incorporates both the revisions and inconsistencies pointed out in zhowar's article, as well as Meepo's Holmes Companion. My aim being to have a stand-alone, workable Holmes that takes maximum levels up to 9, while retaining the aims and spirit of the original, and negating the need to delve into either the OD&D or 1e books in order to play a game. Once I've finished that, I want to give that a go with my gaming group too.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:58:04 am by Greyharp » Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:29:07 am »

At the moment I'm in the middle of typing up a revised version of the Holmes rules that incorporates both the revisions and inconsistencies pointed out in zhowar's article, as well as Meepo's Holmes Companion.

I'd love to see a copy when you get that finished.  When I was playing regularly in the 70s and 80s, I had far more interest in high level games. As I've grown older and have far less time to play, I've discovered that low level campaigns have their charms too.
Report Spam   Logged
Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 08:40:53 am »

I'd love to see a copy when you get that finished.

Done. It will be good to get someone else's thoughts.  Smiley

I think I too am enjoying lower level games over higher ones the older I get.
Report Spam   Logged
oltekos
Face the animal on it's own terms...& you'll find you're not so very strong...
Veteran

absit invidia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 04:11:22 pm »

Although I started with the "Black Box" version of the game & the Rules Cyclopedia (1991), I quickly moved on to AD&D 2E & stuck with that version for the majority of my middle school & high school career.  Within the past year or so, I have discovered the joys of OD&D (1974) & AD&D 1E, but have actually returned full-circle & now run a R.C. campaign for my fiancee & a couple close friends of ours. 

If I could go back in time, I would not have discounted BECMI/R.C. as a mere "kids game", & would have stuck with it instead of moving too quickly to 2E.

I'm having more fun now with D&D than I ever did back in school!!! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

L.W.S.
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 05:41:50 pm »

If I could go back in time, I would not have discounted BECMI/R.C. as a mere "kids game", & would have stuck with it instead of moving too quickly to 2E.

I've never understood why BECMI/RC had a reputation as a game for children. It is probably the cleanest, most playable, and most complete system of D&D that has yet been published (ignoring the original Immortals Set as I don't think anyone outside of Frank Mentzer ever understood it). The only thing I didn't like about it was races as character classes -- but it worked well.
Report Spam   Logged
Philotomy
Veteran

Fight On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 05:43:10 pm »

I've played:

OD&D [1974]
Holmes Basic
B/X or Moldvay/Cook/Marsh D&D
BECMI or Mentzer D&D (also Rules Cyclopedia)
AD&D 1E
AD&D 2E

I started with Holmes, actually, and moved into AD&D 1E right away.  I didn't like 2E very much, but ran a very successful and long-lived Mentzer campaign during that time.  My favorite versions are OD&D ('74) and AD&D (1E).

Report Spam   Logged

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:40:02 am »

My favorite versions are OD&D ('74) and AD&D (1E).

Welcome to RetroRoleplaying, Philotomy.

Your OD&D ('74) is great. It has got me interested in playing OD&D again -- and I doubt I've even looked at my OD&D stuff since the early 80s. Of course, finding players in this area might be a real problem.
Report Spam   Logged
Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 08:18:26 am »

Welcome to RetroRoleplaying, Philotomy.

Your OD&D ('74) is great.

Agreed  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Richter_Bravesteel
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 08:59:04 am »

I started with the Basic set when I was a wee lad, then moved right on into 2nd edition. Smiley

I love 2nd edition, even if the massive supplements kind of ruin what I think is a great core, but BECMI/RC is my favorite, and I just started Dabbling in 1E. I play 3.5 because thats what much of my group likes. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
brianm
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 06:50:15 pm »

I started with Moldvay's Basic, moved on to Cook's Expert and then played a mish-mash by slowly bolting on AD&D 1e components, starting with the PHB.  Jeff Rients' experience was very close to mine.

And I played that way through elementary, junior high, and high school.  In college, I played a bastard mish-mash of 2e and 1e, basically using 2e PHBs and 1e DMG and monster books.  I eventually moved into entirely 2e games online, but I still run ugly mish-mash games, as I'm an incorrigible houseruler.  Grin

I had a brief flirtation with 3.0e as a player.  It didn't last long, and my initial enthusiasm for the system cooled quickly. 

Today, I mostly play a mash of 2e PHB and MM with 1e DMG and bits and pieces plucked from the 3e Book of Vile Darkness.  However, I'm in the middle of a hack of Moldvay/Cook/LL because I want something simple and quick, and also want to test some ideas for an original fantasy RPG I'm tinkering on.

- Brian
Report Spam   Logged

DrBadLogic
Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 01:13:46 pm »

What versions of TSR D&D have you played?

I played a couple of games of the basic box, moved on to 2nd edition revised.  Played a *lot* of games with that - been in one or two campaigns, run a campaign or two, played in many short lived games...  To the extent I don't think I'd ever go back.  I've had plenty of AD&D in my past.  I would go back to the Planescape setting using a different set of rules, however. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 01:39:57 pm »

I started with Moldvay's Basic, moved on to Cook's Expert and then played a mish-mash by slowly bolting on AD&D 1e components, starting with the PHB.  Jeff Rients' experience was very close to mine.

To be honest, I've doubt I've ever played AD&D as Gary intended it to be played. Everyone I played AD&D with started with OD&D and bolted on stuff from first edition AD&D as the books appeared -- ignoring anything they did not like or did not fit their campaign setting in AD&D. All our AD&D games were really hybrid OD&D/AD&D games with occasional helpings of material from Judges Guild and from Dragon and White Dwarf magazines stirred into the mix. Generally, we tended to simply things that AD&D made too complex for our interests.  It was easy to try rules variants and if they did not work, drop them.
Report Spam   Logged
brianm
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 08:47:50 pm »

Generally, we tended to simply things that AD&D made too complex for our interests.  It was easy to try rules variants and if they did not work, drop them.

We made things more complex.  We were horrible that way, piling on detail after detail, until the games just became hideously unwieldy.

You'd think we would have learned...  Grin

- Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum