RetroRoleplaying Forum
July 07, 2022, 09:00:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

[BFRPG] Swords and Sorcery Supplement

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [BFRPG] Swords and Sorcery Supplement  (Read 2265 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2008, 08:21:16 pm »

I've started work on a "Swords and Sorcery" supplement to the Basic Fantasy RPG. These are the basic rules modifications that the Caves of Chaos project will eventually need. All I've finished so far is a early draft of the Character Classes section.
Limited to 6th level and first and second level spells only. Classes currently available: Barbarian, Cleric, Fighter, Magic-User, Thief.

The current copy of the pdf file can be found here (Note: updates will have the same file name).

Comments are welcome as this is a very early draft.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:37:29 am »

Looking good Randall, I particularly like your treatment of the magic-user  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 06:25:23 pm »

Looking good Randall, I particularly like your treatment of the magic-user  Smiley

Thank you. With only six levels, magic-users had to be beefed up slightly at the start as they never get to the higher levels where they get to become one-man armies.  The Wizard Blast sounds powerful, but its really no more than letting a magic-user use a sling. Over the years, I've seen many DMs allow mages to have slings in their house rules. The Wizard Blast just has more flavor.

I've had Minor Magic in my house rules every since Gygax added Cantrips to AD&D. Cantrips just seem too complex for a mainly "color" rule and are just as subject to abuse as my more general ability. Requiring the wand was my way to end the abuse. Yes, your magic user character can float the keys to his cell over with minor magic. The only problem is anyone with an IQ higher than that of an idiot is going to take (and perhaps break) your wand before they put you in that cell.
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 02:10:06 pm »

Classes currently available: Barbarian, Cleric, Fighter, Magic-User, Thief.

Are these enough? I don't think paladins really belong in S&S. Rangers and druids are possible, I suppose, but don't really feel right to me. Comments?
Report Spam   Logged
Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:04:32 pm »

I agree, for a Swords & Sorcery feel, the five classes you've chosen fit well. The other classes move the game into a more High Fantasy style game.
Report Spam   Logged
Restless

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 01:28:22 pm »

The rule changes are quite interesting, and in line with something I was thinking of doing under BFRPG myself.  However, under cleric and magic user it says to see the ritual magic rules.  Where would one find those rules?
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 04:49:13 pm »

The rule changes are quite interesting, and in line with something I was thinking of doing under BFRPG myself.  However, under cleric and magic user it says to see the ritual magic rules.  Where would one find those rules?

I haven't written them yet. This project (like this forum and the entire site) got put on hold during my wife's cancer treatments. I keep hoping to get back to it over a weekend and finish up the rules draft, but after 6 weeks of radiation treatments I am so far behind on things that some else always pops up.

However, here is a quick and loose description of how the basic ritual rules will work (subject to change):

1) Rituals must be done in an appropriate space (normally temple for cleric/magic lab for wizard).

2) You need a written copy of the spell to be cast in ritual-casting form.

3) Rituals take 1 hours plus the level of the spell being cast ritually hours to cast. Uninterrupted.

4) To determine success roll 1d20 and add your effective ritual casting level (which may be higher than your character level) plus or minus any DM decided adjustments. If the result is greater than 10 plus twice the level of the spell being ritually cast, the spell is successful. Backfires possible on failure.

5) Multiple (appropriate) people may assist the caster. Each magic user assisting a wizard adds 50% of his character level (not effective casting level) rounded down to the roll, likewise for each cleric assisting the clerical ritualist). The maximum number of assistants: 50% of the caster's character level rounded down. Clerics also benefit from lay members present and prayerfully supporting the ritual (current ideas on amount: +1 for 10 lay members, +2 for 50, +3 for 100, +4 for 250, +5 for 500, +6 for 1000).  Caster assistants subject to backfires, lay members not usually.

Edit: BBCode Fixed
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:00:31 pm by randalls » Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 05:08:33 pm »

Trollsmyth has a great post on shield house rules on his blog: "Shields Shall be Splintered!". Unless he objects, I will be borrowing the Cloven Shield part for fighters in S&S.
Report Spam   Logged
brianm
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 05:43:22 pm »

I don't mind at all.  Smiley  And thanks for the link.

- Brian
Report Spam   Logged

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 06:15:22 pm »

I don't mind at all. 

Thank you, Brian. Here's a very rough draft of the rule for S&S:

Cloven Shield Rule: A Fighter using a shield may declare (after he is hit in combat but before the damage is rolled) that his shield absorbs the damage. The shield is destroyed by the hit but the Fighter takes no damage from the hit. At fourth level, a Fighter may have his shield absorb a damage-causing spell attack like a fire ball or lightning bolt. The shield is destroyed but the fighter only takes half-damage from the spell (quarter damage if he also makes his saving roll).

Comments and alternative ideas are welcome!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 06:17:49 pm by randalls » Report Spam   Logged
brianm
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 06:32:08 pm »

Nice!  I like the way the fighter has to pick before damage is rolled.  That saves you a die-roll and means the fighter is more likely to save it for when they really need it.

Any thoughts on how you plan to handle magic shields?  Or, since this is an S&S-themed rules set, do you not plan on having any?

- Brian
Report Spam   Logged

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 09:41:16 pm »

Nice!  I like the way the fighter has to pick before damage is rolled.  That saves you a die-roll and means the fighter is more likely to save it for when they really need it.

That was mainly due to laziness on my part. I hate rolling unneeded dice. I hadn't thought of the side effect of players being more likely to save it for when they really need it, but that is a very nice unplanned side effect.

Any thoughts on how you plan to handle magic shields?  Or, since this is an S&S-themed rules set, do you not plan on having any?

What magic there is will be up to the DM, so I'll probably provide rules for magic shields and the cloven shield rule. I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning toward something simple and easy to track. Perhaps the magic shield survives but drops one plus. A shield +2 isn't shattered, but drops to being a shield +1. A +1 shield survives as well, but becomes a normal, non-magical shield. This probably would not work in a more high fantasy setting, but I could probably get by with it in a S&S setting.

Edit: Fixed a silly typo.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 11:17:15 am by randalls » Report Spam   Logged
brianm
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 05:18:59 pm »

Perhaps the magic shield survives but drops one plus. A shield +2 isn't shattered, but drops to being a shield +1. A +1 shield survives as well, but becomes a normal, non-magical shield. This probably would not work in a more high fantasy setting, but I could probably get by with it in a S&S setting.

That would seem to make perfect sense for an S&S setting, considering the first thing Conan does when he gets a magic sword is shatter the damned thing.  Grin

Actually, that works better in S&S because S&S heroes are notorious for breaking, using up, or losing their magical goodies.

- Brian
Report Spam   Logged

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 11:20:04 am »

Actually, that works better in S&S because S&S heroes are notorious for breaking, using up, or losing their magical goodies.

That's what I thought: easy and really fits the genre. I expect I'd have to rethink this for a more standard epic fantasy D&D setting or players might mutiny. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
brianm
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 08:44:48 pm »

I'm toying with a simple "save" mechanic for magic shields.  Roll a d6.  If you roll equal-to or under the plus of the shield, it survives.  If you roll a 6, the shield survives and the attacking weapon is shattered.  Anything else, and the shield shatters.

If the attacking weapon is magical, then you don't roll, you just treat it as if the shield were non-magical. 

That's probably more trouble than a magical shield is worth, however, and I'm likely to just go with your lose-pluses-until-broken method.

- Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum