RetroRoleplaying Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:12:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Your Suggestions for a Classical D&D Starter Set?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Suggestions for a Classical D&D Starter Set?  (Read 1242 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:41:04 am »

Assume that you are suggesting starter materials for someone familiar with RPGs, but just getting into Classical D&D. Lets assume that for rules, the person will either get the Rules Cyclopedia or the Basic and Expert Sets. Which settings books and starter modules would you suggest and why? (Please limit your suggestions to 3 or 4 items as the object is for the complete "starter set" to cost around $25-30 maximum in PDF form.)

I think I'd select these:

* B1-9 megamodule -- I know the individual adventures aren't complete in this form, but there is a lot of good, fun material here for the price.

* Gazetteer 1: The Grand Duchy of Karameikos -- Simply a great place to set a low-level campaign and unlike many of the gazetteers it is easy to create adventures for.

* X1: The Isle of Dread -- This has always been one of my favorite adventures. It introduces sea travel and has a large island ready to explore. And most players like the King Kong take-offs.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

oltekos
Face the animal on it's own terms...& you'll find you're not so very strong...
Veteran

absit invidia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:50:23 pm »

I would recommend the person purchase the Mentzer Basic Set ($4.00), along with the D&D Rules Cyclopedia ($4.00) for their core rules.

As for introductory modules, the B1-B9 megamodule is a great bargain, but as previously mentioned, incomplete.  I would recommend buying B1: In Search of the Unknown ($4.00) & B2: Keep on the Borderlands ($4.00); they're both short & sweet, & a good introduction to Classic D&D.

You can get all of these at www.paizo.com (that's where I usually purchase my modules).  The scans are pretty decent, & the best part is, your only spending a total of $16.00.  They could spend their left over money on dice, extra modules, a standard size chessex hex grid, miniatures, etc. 

They could also save $4.00 & download B3: Palace of the Silver Princess for free at www.wizards.com, in their "Free Downloads" section. 

All together, for $16.00, they received (2) classic rulesets, along with a whopping (5) adventures/modules (if you also count B3, the solo adventure in the Basic Set, & the introductory module contained therein as well). 

Now that's a deal!!! Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

L.W.S.
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:42:40 am »

I would recommend buying B1: In Search of the Unknown ($4.00)

I've never liked this adventure much. I always thought B2 was much better.

Now that's a deal!!! Grin

It is -- especially given the prices of new games today. Even the PDF versions are often as (or more) expensive.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum