RetroRoleplaying Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:29:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Introductions

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 8377 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 02:55:50 pm »

Hello to all! I'm Keith, 51 year old from Alberta, Canada.

Welcome!

We had some fun, but 3e had changed things so much it was hard to get the spirit going again. For the last little while I've thrown good money after bad trying to "fix" 3e for me and the players but it's been no good.

I've recently discovered an OGL fix for 3.x: Microlite20. Two pages of core rules that will let you use 3.x adventures and settings without the excessive bloat of 3.x.
Report Spam   Logged
Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 04:39:17 pm »

G'day Keith

I too went through the trauma of losing my rpg stuff during my christian phase as a young fella, although I whimped out and traded my stuff, rather than allow it to be burnt. It was one of the biggest regrets of my life and it has taken me years to get it all back again.

I spent a year playing 3e, not by choice, but because at the time it was the only gaming group I could find. Although I had fun roleplaying, it didn't have the same magic for me that the pre-2e games had.

As I mentioned in the other thread, one of the retro-clone games might be exactly what your gaming group needs.

Dave   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
DrBadLogic
Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 02:16:47 pm »

Feel free to introduce yourself in this thread. Just hit the reply button and tell us about yourself and the rpg systems you like, play, and/or are interested in.

Hi, I'm Andy, and I'm a role-player. Smiley

I got introduced to role-playing in my early/mid-teens.  That was in the time of AD&D second edition.  I ran a number of hack n slash games with it, and eventually got used to the idea of mixing in a story.  I actually ran a campaign one summer, which ended in a civil war in one character's homeland, over which the party split along different sides.  It was epic, and incredibly cheesy.  It was quite fun, although I'd like to think I've come a long way since. Smiley

I've tried out a number of games since then, not all need be mentioned.

I'm currently running a Vampire: The Masquerade campaign, which started around 2004/2005.  In fact I'm beginning the final story very soon, which I'm excited and nervous about.  It'll be wierd saying goodbye to the setting and the characters, but we've got some fun stories out of it.

I'm planning to run an Ars Magica campaign next, and I'm hoping to get an atmosphere of medieval saga/epic.  It's still in the stages of early ideas.

I've also been running a few one-off's lately.  Notably a couple of games of 'All Flesh Must Be Eaten', and one Unknown Armies session.  Unknown Armies is currently one of my favourite settings, but one I'm not sure I could sustain in a campaign.  I'm also hoping to run a one-shot of Feng Shui soon.  Any game with cybernetic gorillas can't be bad. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 06:30:15 pm »

Hi, I'm Andy, and I'm a role-player. Smiley

Welcome, Andy!

I'm planning to run an Ars Magica campaign next, and I'm hoping to get an atmosphere of medieval saga/epic.  It's still in the stages of early ideas.

I liked the first and second editions. Loathed the third and haven't played the fourth or fifth. I haven't even seen the fifth.

I'm also hoping to run a one-shot of Feng Shui soon.  Any game with cybernetic gorillas can't be bad. Cheesy

Feng Shui is fun. It was one of the last RPGs I played in the mid-90s.
Report Spam   Logged
DrBadLogic
Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 11:33:40 am »

I liked the first and second editions. Loathed the third and haven't played the fourth or fifth. I haven't even seen the fifth.

I haven't played previous editions.  However, if third is the one that White Wolf did, it sounds bad.  ('you cant fireball me if I dont believe in magic!')  At the moment I suspect the first adventure I run is going to involve stealing stuff from fairies. Cheesy

Feng Shui is fun. It was one of the last RPGs I played in the mid-90s.

I had the joy of playing in one session during the late nineties, but I didn't get it at the time.  I'm hoping to get my players into it with a big opening scene.  Plus I run so many investigative/ run away from combat games, the difference should be novel. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 02:58:13 pm »

However, if third is the one that White Wolf did, it sounds bad.

It was every bit as bad as it sounds. I'm not a WoD fan (perhaps because I was long past teen angst by the time it came out Roll Eyes ), and they seems to be trying to merge the two worlds with WoD being dominant. It was just awful as far as I was concerned.

At the moment I suspect the first adventure I run is going to involve stealing stuff from fairies. Cheesy

I don't think my old characters would want any part of that. LOL. They had a very healthy respect for fairies -- learned the hard way.
Report Spam   Logged
ComW
Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 11:07:52 am »

Hello to all! I'm Keith, 51 year old from Alberta, Canada.

Hi keith welcome to the rolldown
Report Spam   Logged
DrBadLogic
Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 05:24:21 am »

I don't think my old characters would want any part of that. LOL. They had a very healthy respect for fairies -- learned the hard way.

Oh, I plan on taking the consequences in a 'different' route.  That is, I'll let them get away with it briefly, before the Fairy lord sends a bailiff around to present charges. Cheesy  It's also possible tha another player character will have been raised as a page in that court, so it could briefly turn into a fairy legal drama. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 09:06:06 am »

....so it could briefly turn into a fairy legal drama. Cheesy

That a truly scary idea: fairy legal drama. I'd probably have it be barely comprehensible to mortals -- to the point they might not even recognize it as a legal fight until some kind fairy mentions it, just in time for them to mount a defense. ::cackles evilly::
Report Spam   Logged
DrBadLogic
Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 04:15:13 am »

That a truly scary idea: fairy legal drama. I'd probably have it be barely comprehensible to mortals -- to the point they might not even recognize it as a legal fight until some kind fairy mentions it, just in time for them to mount a defense. ::cackles evilly::

I was thinking of it resembling a 'norma' court just enough for them to be thrown by the differences.  I was thinking of having the opposing lawyer be a troll that the covenant spokesperson has to wrestle with.  If found guilty, they submit to the usual punishment - saving a damsel from a dragon. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 06:34:49 am »

If found guilty, they submit to the usual punishment - saving a damsel from a dragon. Cheesy

I like that.
Report Spam   Logged
DrBadLogic
Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 08:36:08 am »

I like that.

Or maybe save a dragon from a damsel, if I'm feeling quirky.
Report Spam   Logged
Sham
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 08:40:33 pm »

Hi Gang. This is David.

Happy to be here! I've been enjoying Randall's RRP blog for a little while now. Long time D&D DM here, began with Holmes almost 30 years ago, and quickly moved to AD&D. Played using those 1e books for decades. Played a TON of games in the 80's...Gamma World, Champions, Call of Cthulhu, Top Secret, Car Wars, just to name a handful, but always came back to my heavily home brewed D&D campaigns. Earlier this year I discovered that I wasn't the only gamer who never made the transition into 2e D&D, and after checking out Labyrinth Lord, I decided to go to the source, and made the plunge into 1974's Original D&D. I haven't stopped home brewing and house ruling. I have managed over the past few months to contact all of my old gaming crew from the 80's, and we have out first reunited session scheduled for the end of June. I'll be gauging their enjoyment of OD&D, and if that fails, I'll make a few changes and call it "AD&D".

I'm a huge fan of 1e, and when I "think of D&D", I think of those three hard covers by Gygax. After I read the original version finally, though, I realized it had everything I needed for my heavily home brewed appraoch, and I've just been having a blast fleshing those rules out to suit my campaign.

I think Holmes, Moldvay B/X, 1e, and the BECMI (RC) stuff is all great, though.

Lately I've really had the urge to write Gamma World stuff, but I have so many D&D related projects going already that I haven't branched out into GW...yet.

Anyway, I've a lot of catching up to do as I'm fairly late to the forum here.

Cheers!

Sham aka David
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 07:03:06 am »

I'll be gauging their enjoyment of OD&D, and if that fails, I'll make a few changes and call it "AD&D".

Hi David! Glad to see you here. I'm sorry you had activation problems.

I really think that OD&D with some AD&D stuff is what my group called AD&D bad in the late 70s and very early 80s. We started with OD&D/Greyhawk and just added stuff from later supplements that we liked. Given that the three AD&D books arrived one a year, we treated them like more supplements and added what we liked from them as they were published.
Report Spam   Logged
Ork Captain
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 10:51:12 pm »

Matthew here. 24 year old Brit deposited in Phoenix, Arizona. Fan of the following (forgive me if I forget one or two games): CD&D, AD&D 1st and 2nd editions, WRFP, MERP, Toon, Deadlands, Top Secret, Boot Hill, Call of Cthulhu, Gamma World, Shadowrun, Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future (even though I've yet to play a game of MF). I'm also secretly a fan of Castle Falkenstein, but don't tell anyone.

I seem to only get along with players much older than myself. Don't know why exactly, but the groups I've played in, I'm always the youngest.

Currently running a LL game with my girlfriend and an AD&D 2nd edition pbp game with some friends.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum