RetroRoleplaying Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:15:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Introductions

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 8380 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 07:00:52 am »

Matthew here. 24 year old Brit deposited in Phoenix, Arizona.

Welcome!  That must have been quite a change in climate.

I see you are a Boot Hill fan. That's one of the few older RPGs I've never played. For some reason I never could get into western RPGs at all. Which is very odd because I've always enjoyed a good Hollywood western.
Report Spam   Logged
Ork Captain
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 03:11:34 pm »

I love westerns. I have also yearned for a good western RPG to play for quite some time. As much as I like Boot Hill, it's mostly for nostalgic reasons. I think it's hard to get into some of them because they're so combat heavy and too concerned with the rules for gunfighting, thus the rest of the game suffers.
Report Spam   Logged

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 05:20:06 pm »

I think it's hard to get into some of them because they're so combat heavy and too concerned with the rules for gunfighting, thus the rest of the game suffers.

I had a British minis skirmish game called The Old West (I think) way back when. It was probably the best Western game I've seen. If they'd have just had a roleplaying system for it, it would have been great. It covered so much more than gunfights.
Report Spam   Logged
Chris Goodwin
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 11:15:34 am »

An intro thread!

Greetings all.  I'm Chris Goodwin, and am a frequent poster at the Hero Games boards, an infrequent poster at RPG.net, an occasional poster at Story-games.com, and have just gotten bitten by the retro clone bug.

My first exposure to roleplaying games was in 4th grade in 1979 or 1980 (9 or 10 years old). I was at the public library and saw a group of older guys sitting around a table (some of whom I would later game with). They had a few miniatures and some oddly shaped things it took me a while to recognize were dice, and they seemed to be playing some sort of game except there was no board and they were talking about what they were doing, and only occasionally moving their miniatures around. I was fascinated though completely baffled.

The following year a friend of mine and I were talking at school about this game Dungeons and Dragons, that I'd heard of and only then connected to what I'd seen the previous year. I wouldn't get into it until that summer ('81) when another friend introduced me with the AD&D hardcovers. I asked my parents for D&D and they got me the boxed (b/x) Basic Set. I was playing a mix of the two until, as time passed, we acquired the three hardbacks for ourselves. From there it was Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Marvel Superheroes, Top Secret (via the same friend who introduce me to D&D as well as my younger brother), the BECMI D&D sets, Villains and Vigilantes. I'd also gotten into Car Wars by this time, and had picked up Autoduel Champions (early '85) primarily for the helicopters rules.

Neither the Car Wars superheroes rules nor the Champions autoduelling rules were lost on me, though, and summer of '85 I bought the 3rd edition Champions book and convinced a friend (SuentisPo, if anyone hangs around the M&M forums) to show me the game. Almost simultaneously I discovered a gaming club whose game of choice was Champions. That got me into the other Hero games (Danger International, Fantasy Hero, Robot Warriors... I didn't pick up Justice Inc. until several years later and missed out on Espionage). I also got into TMNT around the same time, later Toon, GURPS, and the Ghostbusters RPG shortly afterward, and Amber Diceless when it came along.  My most recent acquisitions include BESM (2nd edition), Buffy Unisystem, Dogs in the Vineyard, Savage Worlds (all unplayed), and Primetime Adventures and Beast Hunters. 

Of the whole mess, I've played the D&Ds multiple times (basic, AD&D1 and 2); once or twice each of Top Secret, Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Marvel Superheroes, Toon, V&V, Ghostbusters, and Fudge (with Steffan O'Sullivan as GM!); TFT a few times; lots of GURPS and Amber; and lots and lots of Car Wars and Champions/Hero System.  Lately I've also gotten into indie RPGs hard.  A

fter a long dry spell of actual gaming I've lately gotten to play Fantasy Hero and red box D&D....which has led me down the path of retro clones.  Several years ago I hit on the idea of trying to retro clone (though no one called it that at the time...) a small fantasy combat board and roleplaying system (*ahem*) originally designed by Steve Jackson, but never actually did anything with it until now; seeing Labyrinth Lord, Mutant Future, and the others has inspired me greatly. 

Edit:  Oh yeah, as soon as West End Games gets around to freeing up their d6 System I plan on taking a run at the Ghostbusters RPG as well. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:28:14 am by Chris Goodwin » Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 01:10:43 pm »

Greetings all.  I'm Chris Goodwin, and am a frequent poster at the Hero Games boards, an infrequent poster at RPG.net, an occasional poster at Story-games.com, and have just gotten bitten by the retro clone bug.

Welcome!

Dogs in the Vineyard

I have this game, find the rules and setting interesting, but can't imagine actually playing it. that's really weird for me.

Several years ago I hit on the idea of trying to retro clone (though no one called it that at the time...) a small fantasy combat board and roleplaying system (*ahem*) originally designed by Steve Jackson, but never actually did anything with it until now; seeing Labyrinth Lord, Mutant Future, and the others has inspired me greatly.

Assuming you are talking about the US Steve Jackson (as opposed to the UK Steve Jackson), you might find the following small PDFs interesting:

Legends of the Ancient World

Legends of Time & Space

Legends of the Untamed West

All from the good folks at Dark City Games
Report Spam   Logged
Chris Goodwin
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 01:51:46 pm »

Welcome!

Thanks!  Cheesy

Assuming you are talking about the US Steve Jackson (as opposed to the UK Steve Jackson),

I am.

you might find the following small PDFs interesting:

Legends of the Ancient World

Legends of Time & Space

Legends of the Untamed West

All from the good folks at Dark City Games

I've seen those, but don't care for them much.  IMO they're a little less than complete.  I'm of the feeling that you should theoretically be able to play the game from a retro-clone; they seem to be treating the property as a dead game, and offering the downloads solely as sort of an excuse to sell their stuff.  I don't want to knock that, but they're also not particularly growing the player base, either. 

It seems to me that the "retro clone spirit" is one of sharing info, which has partly developed by necessity due to the reliance on the OGL.  Dark City aren't doing that at all; the incomplete downloads are free, but their adventures aren't, and one wonders if you can play the game with the free download and the (somewhat expensive) adventure.  I imagine I'm wandering off topic for the Introductions thread, though, and hereby warn myself to not let it happen again. 
Report Spam   Logged
driver
Judge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2008, 09:37:38 pm »

I'm Scott.  I post regularly to the OD&D Discussion board, and very occasionally to Knights & Knaves.  I've been playing D&D since 1981, with many detours to other systems.  Recently I've settled on OD&D as my ideal system -- partially, I'm sure, out of a feeling of nostalgia (albeit for an era I didn't experience), but primarily because it's the "lightest" version of OD&D and rewards/demands kitbashing.

My current campaign is an OD&D play-by-post set in the Judges Guild's original City State of the Invincible Overlord and Wilderlands of High Fantasy.  I've just started a blog about the campaign, the Wilderlands, OD&D, and gaming in general.  Game goes live at noon tomorrow.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Wilderlands OD&D blog:
http://wilderlandsodnd.blogspot.com
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008, 06:49:34 am »

My current campaign is an OD&D play-by-post set in the Judges Guild's original City State of the Invincible Overlord and Wilderlands of High Fantasy.  I've just started a blog about the campaign, the Wilderlands, OD&D, and gaming in general.  Game goes live at noon tomorrow.  Smiley

Welcome to the board, Scott. Good luck with your game -- and congrats on picking up a 5th printing of OD&D at such a good price.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum