RetroRoleplaying Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:47:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Major Changes Coming to Retroroleplaying Web Site and Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Major Changes Coming to Retroroleplaying Web Site and Forum  (Read 3861 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2008, 01:30:08 pm »

Some major changes are coming to the Retroroleplaying web site and forum soon -- hopefully before the end of the year.

FIRST, Retroroleplaying.com will be converted to a Drupal site.  In the past I've always found Drupal too hard to work with, but the Microlite20 web site (and the fact that Drupal is at version 6.8 now and the last version I tried was something like 4.5) convinced me to take another look at it. I've been playing with it a few days on a test site and like what I see. Converting retroroleplaying.com to a Drupal site will allow me to easily let other people work on sections of it directly -- adding their material to it as they want.

SECOND, I will be replacing this free SMF board with a version of SMF that runs on the retroroleplaying server. This will be a copy I can control and modify directly -- and fully integrate into the retroroleplaying web site (including a single login to both Drupal and the message board).  There will be no way to move the messages from this board, but this board will not disappear, it will just be closed to new posts.

THIRD, the focus of retroroleplaying.com will change a bit. The focus will be to support selected older RPGs (and their modern retroclones) and my own RPGs (Microlite74 and the yet to be written Of Gold and Glory). I'm no longer going to try hard to cover games I have little or no interest in. However, if someone wants to add and maintain a section on an older game I'm not interested in, they will be able to do so thanks to the CMS-like nature of the "second edition" of RetroRoleplaying.

Games I play to cover from the start:

1) Original D&D and its retroclones: Swords & Wizardry and Swords & Wizardry White Box

2) Classic D&D and its retroclones: Basic Fantasy and Labyrinth Lord

3) First Edition AD&D and its retroclone: OSRIC

4) Microlite74
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 05:31:25 pm »

The changes have begun. The start of a Drupal website has replaced the original Retroroleplaying site -- with all the original material available here until it gets moved to the new version of the site.

Work on the new forum has begun as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum