RetroRoleplaying Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:52:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Dragonquest anyone ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragonquest anyone ?  (Read 877 times)
Sean

Arreet !

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2008, 04:56:08 pm »

So in 1987 our DM had the AD&D books, my other friend had Runequest 2nd Ed. and I had Dragonquest. Guess which system hardly got used ?

I remember the crit hits tables ('you are eviscerated'), the rip-off Adventurers Guild ('10% tithe'), the fact that you could be an Elven beastmaster/courtesan/mechanician, and the pages upon pages of demons you could summon. I recall DQ seemed rules-heavy to my teenage brain and combat was such a chore.

Most of all I remember the scenario at the end of the book - 'The Camp of Alla Akabar' - set in the desert, with the characters disguised as travelling entertainers trying to rescue a kidnapped drugged-up merchant's daughter from Bedouin bandits. The GM notes suggested that it was to be played in 8 hours by 1 or 2 players with one character each (even with a party thrice the size it can be a hard scenario). So all the players expecting something a bit more Tolkien ended up battling sand-golems, jackals and scorpions.  It was excellent - loads of interaction with NPCs and having to figure out a cunning plan to not only rescue the houri lass but also get away across a desert.

Years later I found out there had been another gaming crew from the next village playing a DQ Viking campaign which sounded sweet !

Has anyone else played DQ ?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 06:30:37 pm »

Has anyone else played DQ ?

I played first edition DQ a few times after SPI published it, but only because one of the players in my regular group wanted to run it. I wasn't a fan as combat was too detailed for my taste.  The magic system was interesting, however -- although why they wasted all that space on the College of Great Summoning (with all those demons straight out of the Lesser Key of Salomon) was beyond me.
Report Spam   Logged
Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 06:09:58 am »

I only ever saw the advert in the gaming magazines, not the game itself.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum