RetroRoleplaying Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:45:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Gaming in Waco

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaming in Waco  (Read 1497 times)
QuadriplegicMonkey

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:33:42 pm »

. . . I'd be very happy to find some people in Waco madly in love with 1e as I could run that. It beats being madly in love with 3.5e and/or waiting with wallets open for 4e -- which describes all the roleplayers I've met here.

I'm in Waco and much prefer 1e and 2e.  I agree though - the gamers I've met here (a few on Free RPG day at The Game Closet) have either been chomping at the bit for 4e or sticking to their guns with 3.5e.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:03:51 am »

I'm in Waco and much prefer 1e and 2e.  I agree though - the gamers I've met here (a few on Free RPG day at The Game Closet) have either been chomping at the bit for 4e or sticking to their guns with 3.5e.

I'm sad to hear my experiences have not been unique. I have you PM and will answer ASAP. Today and tomorrow are going to be busy for me.
Report Spam   Logged
QuadriplegicMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 02:50:08 pm »

I'm not saying that wanting to play 3.5 or 4e is necessarily a bad thing, but they just don't seem like something I would enjoy.  My philosophy is that it's a game, and if you have fun with it - go for it.  Nostalgia has a lot to do with my gaming decisions, so I tend to stick to earlier stuff.

I did enjoy hanging around up there, though, as it brought back good memories of many hours spent playing D&D, WH40k and card games with friends.
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 03:18:02 pm »

I'm not saying that wanting to play 3.5 or 4e is necessarily a bad thing...

I find detailed and time-consuming tactical combats boring. I played board wargames for 6-7 years before I started playing D&D. I'm horrible at tactics. That's probably one of the reasons I fell in love with D&D back in the 1970s. Exploration, adventure, and fun without worrying about all the little tactical details. WOTC editions of D&D stress detailed tactical combat a lot and more so with each new edition. They may be great for many people, but I'll take OD&D, BECMI D&D, or AD&D 1E over them any day.

Report Spam   Logged
QuadriplegicMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:34:17 pm »

I find detailed and time-consuming tactical combats boring.

Same here.  I played Warhammer (Fantasy and 40k) for years and one day realized that I was not enjoying it at all.  I enjoyed the back story, but the actual gameplay was horribly repetitive and dull.

I've only played in one D&D game in which miniatures were used.  It slowed things down and completely destroyed any attempt at imagining the action - I was too focused on how many squares I had to move or whatnot. 

Anyway, I'm going to pick up some of the 1e books over the next couple of days.  Obviously the DMG and PHB are necessary, as well as Oriental Adventures because it was my first foray into roleplaying.  Anything else you would suggest?
Report Spam   Logged
ComW
Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 01:43:16 pm »

Same here.  I played Warhammer (Fantasy and 40k) for years and one day realized that I was not enjoying it at all.  I enjoyed the back story, but the actual gameplay was horribly repetitive and dull.

Ammusingly at the same time WOTC are making D&D more rules heavy, Warhammer has had most of th complexity removed.

too the point where they recently decided they HAD to increase the complexity again or lose older gamers completely.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum