RetroRoleplaying Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:18:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

WARRIOR & WIZARD (formerly FIGHTING & WIZARDRY)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: WARRIOR & WIZARD (formerly FIGHTING & WIZARDRY)  (Read 3735 times)
Chris Goodwin
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 09:25:39 am »

But it's not a real game until you can ride a horse. LOL. To quote one of my players from when I was working on a game system of my own and thought it ready for initial testing...

Got it.  Note to self, prioritize Riding.   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Chris Goodwin
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 10:04:18 am »

And.... enjoy.   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 12:52:41 pm »

And.... enjoy.   Grin

Now Dave and the pair of noble bastards he was playing in the mini-campaign in question would be happy.  I like the Riding (All Animals) upgrade, BTW.  Was that in the original?
Report Spam   Logged
Chris Goodwin
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 01:01:19 pm »

Now Dave and the pair of noble bastards he was playing in the mini-campaign in question would be happy.  I like the Riding (All Animals) upgrade, BTW.  Was that in the original?

You would ask that.  I don't think so; my reference materials are at home, so I can't check right now. 

I do find that the original includes "Expert Horsemanship".  When I get home tonight I will go back and add expert versions of the Skills in question.  Many of the Talents (original) included a basic and an expert version; the basic version lets you do the basic thing, and the expert version gives you some kind of a feature upgrade on the basic, and usually a bonus to your attribute check as well. 

I apparently left out a few things when I created my skill list; that seems to have been one of them.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:03:29 pm by Chris Goodwin » Report Spam   Logged
Chris Goodwin
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 11:09:14 pm »

Since we talked about it earlier, I've thought about it some, and instead of making a "basic" and "expert" version of the Skill, I thought about what it was the Skill is really trying to accomplish.  I finally settled on breaking it up into Casual Riding and Combat Riding; I figure Casual Riding is the equivalent of someone who drives their car to and from work every day and to the grocery store on weekends; fairly skilled but not trained in handling emergency situations.  Whereas a Combat Rider is skilled at, as the name implies, riding and controlling a mount into combat.  Casual Riding is a necessary prerequisite for Combat Riding, but a character can ride a horse from point A to point B without having to pay for combat ability. 

And this gives precedent for (for later games) breaking up other Skills similarly:  Casual Driving, Combat Driving, and the like. 
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 02:18:50 pm »

Since we talked about it earlier, I've thought about it some, and instead of making a "basic" and "expert" version of the Skill, I thought about what it was the Skill is really trying to accomplish.  I finally settled on breaking it up into Casual Riding and Combat Riding...

I think this is an excellent idea, especially as you point out it really makes sense in non-fantasy genres.
Report Spam   Logged
Chris Goodwin
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 12:05:19 am »

If you are a wizard you can now cast some spells up to Intelligence 8, or a few up to 9.  I decided it was better to get some spells up there than to complete the Skill section.  For some reason the spells seem to go faster than the Skills, I'm not sure why.
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 10:22:08 pm »

If you are a wizard you can now cast some spells up to Intelligence 8, or a few up to 9.  I decided it was better to get some spells up there than to complete the Skill section.  For some reason the spells seem to go faster than the Skills, I'm not sure why.

Spells are more focused than skills and hence easier for me to write up, at least for lower level (or IQ in this case) spells.
Report Spam   Logged
Chris Goodwin
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 02:21:45 pm »

Good point.

I've put up a design blog (actually a repurposing of an old design blog I ran for about five posts) at http://warriorandwizard.blogspot.com.
Report Spam   Logged
Chris Goodwin
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 12:29:59 pm »

The spell list now includes all of the spells present in the original (non-advanced) game and many of the ones from the advanced game.  There are still sections to which these refer (to wit Bestiary, Summoning, and Images and Illusions) that need to be finished.  Once I have all of these finished I'm going to increment my version number and call it a playtest release. 

The time is approaching at which you can play it without reference to any other materials!
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 04:31:01 pm »

The time is approaching at which you can play it without reference to any other materials!

Warrior & Wizard is coming along very nicely. You are making much better progress than I am with M74 -- real life has really been busy the last few weeks. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Chris Goodwin
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 04:54:31 pm »

Thanks!  I must admit it's been hard to work on lately, for a variety of reasons, but mainly just being busy and being a little under the weather lately.  But I'm trying to work on it at least a little bit each day, even if I only get one or two paragraphs.  And I don't even always manage that, but I also try to not feel bad if I don't. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum