RetroRoleplaying Forum
April 17, 2024, 08:25:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Microlite74 (Release Candidate Discussions)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microlite74 (Release Candidate Discussions)  (Read 2899 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2008, 05:59:22 pm »

It's done! A full PDF of Microlite74 is now ready for you to download and comment on. Rules, Spell List, and Monster List fit on 4 pages in 8 point type. The 5th page is the license.  I had to cut a few monsters to get everything to fit in 4 pages, but folks can easily make monsters. The PDF file is under 100K.

Comments are welcome and proofreading (which I'm incapable of) is greatly desired.

NOTE: This message will be updated when new release candidates come out.

View/Download PDF: Microlite74 (Release Candidate 2).

Major Changes from last draft:

Major Changes to Races: No stat bonuses, special abilities for elves, dwarves, and halflings similar to those in the first fantasy RPG.
Added simple language rules.
Restored "Flame Demonlord" to monster list
Started Designer's Notes.

View/Download PDF: Microlite74 (Release Candidate 1).

Charm Person Changed
Added XP for treasure
Added Monsters
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 06:53:11 pm by randalls » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zulgyan
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:47:20 am »

Great Work!

Some comments:

1. I wouldn't give men any stat bonuses, since they already have the ability to rise to higher levels. the way the rules are right know, they are double benefited by bonuses and by higher levels.

2. I would make spell progresion:

3, 5, 7, 9, 12, just like OD&D. It would be a cool flavorful touch.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:53:40 am by Zulgyan » Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:57:39 am »

Great Work!

Thank you!

1. I wouldn't give men any stat bonuses, since they already have the ability to rise to higher levels. the way the rules are right know, they are double benefited by bonuses and by higher levels.

I'll consider this. Or I may but back in the special racial powers. I left them out as they took quite a bit of space to explain and I was trying to keep the rules to four pages.  If I put them back in, I'll probably leave humans with the stat bonus. If not, I'll probably take your advice and remove the stat bonuses for humans.

2. I would make spell progresion:

3, 5, 7, 9, 12, just like OD&D. It would be a cool flavorful touch.

Great idea. Unless there are major objections from others, I'll do it.
Report Spam   Logged
Zulgyan
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:22:06 pm »

I'll probably leave humans with the stat bonus.

I think it's like a bit redundat to have all human character have +1 to all stats.
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 05:54:37 pm »

I think it's like a bit redundat to have all human character have +1 to all stats.

Other opinions?  I know more people are reading this thread and I'd love to have your opinion on this issue.

I'm not wedded to the across the border bonus for humans, but in M20 humans get +1 to all (four) skills while non-humans get +2 to their respective best stat.  It seems unfair not to give humans something about equal to the +1 to all skills (no skills in M74) while still giving the non-humans the +2 stat bonus.
Report Spam   Logged
Zulgyan
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 06:59:23 pm »

Maybe you can have them choose where to add their bonus.

+2 STR is a Barbarian
+2 MIND is a High Class City Dweller
+2 DEX a Low Class City Rat!

But that would going away from OD&D74...

I would take away STAT bonuses, and give the non-men races a short list of abilities. Just like OD&D!
Report Spam   Logged
jrients

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 07:48:58 am »

As long as the other races get a +2 and no penalty I think humans will have to receive the across the board +1.  What about reducing the +2's to +1?  Then you could eliminate the human bonuses.
Report Spam   Logged
Zulgyan
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 10:26:43 am »

But take into account level limits. No level limit is THE human ability.
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 05:35:27 pm »

I would take away STAT bonuses, and give the non-men races a short list of abilities. Just like OD&D!

I'll see what I can do. I'm a bit reluctant on this on because the abilities will require both explanation (which will push the page count up to 5) and conversion to some type of D20-based roll. D6s for detection would be very out of character for what is supposed to be D20-based game. Yet anything not D6s is going to upset those looking for a near clone of that 1974 game system. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 09:02:50 am »

If I add it racial abilities, I am going to push the game onto a 5th page. Given that I'll already be over 4 pages, should I add in morale rules? Morale checks for monsters does make combat a lower levels somewhat easier to survive as you don't have to find to the bitter end if you can do well enough to make the monsters run away.
Report Spam   Logged
Zulgyan
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 09:43:10 am »

Not really needed. Morale rules are not in the LBB. Chainmail was supposed to be the default combat system, and it had morale rules. But I don't see most people using them. (nor using chainmail combat)
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 10:05:05 am »

Morale rules are not in the LBB. Chainmail was supposed to be the default combat system, and it had morale rules.

I always forget that Morale isn't in the standard LBB rules -- even when I'm looking at them. Morale was probably the only thing I actually used from Chainmail.

Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 06:58:25 pm »

Release Candidate 2 is now available. See the first message in this thread for download info.

Major Changes to Races: No stat bonuses, special abilities for elves, dwarves, and halflings similar to those in the first fantasy RPG.
Added simple language rules.
Restored accidentally deleted "Flame Demonlord" to monster list.
Started Designer's Notes.
Report Spam   Logged
jrients

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 03:05:45 pm »

I'm going over release candidate 2 right now.  Looks very good.  The only thing I'm not digging is energy drains just going away after a few days.  Doesn't seem very 1974 to me.
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 05:36:22 pm »

The only thing I'm not digging is energy drains just going away after a few days.  Doesn't seem very 1974 to me.

This an example of how poorly I proofread. It's missing a sentence at the start saying this the rule is for those who simply refuse to play in any game that has energy drains -- and I never noticed it was missing. Embarrassed I've seen too many games where people don't like the idea of energy drains just ignore them completely. I'd rather present a rule that provides a strong but simple and non-permanent alternate energy drain effect than have them ignored completely. I may end up moving it to the designer's notes section as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum