RetroRoleplaying Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:45:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Hello

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 607 times)
xlar54
Veteran

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2008, 02:34:24 am »

Hey folks, new person here.. just wanted to say Im glad to see that BD&D is still alive and well somewhere out there.  I first got into D&D with OD&D, but the rules were confusing, and as soon as BD&D came out (box sets), I got them.  We played the heck out of those sets for a very long time, and it wasnt until 2E came out that we began to switch to AD&D. AD&D was, IMHO, too complicated as we enjoyed coming up with stories and spending more time on those things than on tournament rules play. Eventually, as with all things, we moved on and put our books behind us for quite some time.  When 3E came out, I was really excited to learn about it.  We tried reviving our gaming with 3E, but there again, the rules proved to be too much in the way of the fun of the stories. D20, to us, was simple, but no longer had the *feel* of Dungeons and Dragons.  I think it IS a good system, for things like Star Wars RPG and others, but it's just not D&D to us.  Wasnt long before we re-purchased the basic sets off Ebay and began playing the game the way it was.  Some of it is nostalgia of course, but in truth, BD&D has a feel to it, all its own.  I'll never sell my sets again (as with a number of 80s re-aquired items like my Commodore 128).  They are part of who I am now, more than just a game or toys.  Congrats, I think, to WOTC for 4E... I havent looked too much at it yet, and I still dont think it's for me, but whatever keeps the game alive for new generations of players, Im all for it.

Anyway, just an intro.. good to see you all here.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 06:58:30 am »

Hey folks, new person here.. just wanted to say Im glad to see that BD&D is still alive and well somewhere out there.  I first got into D&D with OD&D, but the rules were confusing, and as soon as BD&D came out (box sets), I got them.  We played the heck out of those sets for a very long time, and it wasnt until 2E came out that we began to switch to AD&D. AD&D was, IMHO, too complicated as we enjoyed coming up with stories and spending more time on those things than on tournament rules play.

That was always my opinion of AD&D, many of the rules were just too picky. Of course, my games grew from OD&D into AD&D as the 1E books came out of 3 years so what we played wasn't really AD&D but some generic OD&D-based version that only took the rules we liked from 1E, but we called it AD&D. Whenever I would start a independent game from scratch, however, it was always B/X or later BEXMI/RC. But still the AD&D campaign rolled on as the main game.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum