RetroRoleplaying Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:52:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

[Blackmoor] Giant Frogs Aren't Scary

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Blackmoor] Giant Frogs Aren't Scary  (Read 1109 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:58:30 pm »

After much searching though old backup CDs, I finally found the text only version of the original Little Beige Books, Greyhawk, Blackmoor, and Eldritch Wizardry someone had scanned, converted to ascii text, somewhat proofread, and made available on the Internet back in the mid-1990s on a gopher site (the web had barely started). Naturally, it did not stay up long before TSR heard about it and had it removed.

I had forgotten that the scanner/proofreader did not include everything from the Blackmoor supplement. He left out a major portion of the book: the Temple of the Frog adventure. He didn't leave it out because duplicating the maps in ascii would be hard, but because -- let me just quote the read me file:

Sorry, did not scan the temple of the frog stuff in Blackmoor. Too much work for a stupid bunch of giant frogs. Giant frogs? Yes. I said giant frogs. Hip-hop.... Rib-bit... Swallow you alive. Shivering in me pirate boots I am. Silly idea for an adventure. No. Stupid waste of waste of paper. Summary for completeness freaks: Get a map of a big church. Put it in a swamp. Replace altar with big frog statue. Add pools full of giant frogs in the basement. Priests want to sacrifice party to frog statue.

I liked the Temple of the Frog, but it was the first adventure I ever saw written up for D&D. Apparently not everyone finds it as neat and interesting as I did -- and still do. LOL.

[Edit: minor typo corrected.]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:45:10 pm by randalls » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sham
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:29:15 pm »

I think I appreciate it for the same reason, that it was the first published adventure. I think it's a fine basis for a game of D&D, but I'd make changes...like I do with pretty much any module. It is good? Naw, not really. Then again, at that time, there was nothning to compare it to. It was probably wicked good for those that were there when Supplement II was new.
Report Spam   Logged
brianm
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:15:27 am »

Yeah, it's fascinating as an historical artifact.  As an adventure, well, it seems lacking in a number of areas.  As a sort of random spot on the map the players might stumble across, or the setting for your own adventures, it's a bit stronger, but you're really going to have to bring your own magic to it.  That said, I've never actually run it, and it's been a while since I've read through it, so I may be missing some really good stuff hidden within or forgotten with time.

However, I feel safe in saying that, as many issues as the adventure may have, the giant frogs are not among them.   Tongue

- Brian
Report Spam   Logged

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 09:44:30 am »

It was probably wicked good for those that were there when Supplement II was new.

I strongly resemble that remark. When I picked up D&D the three LBB and Greyhawk were all that was out. Blackmoor was published shortly thereafter and gave me my first (and for a long time, only) example of a complete dungeon/adventure area I had.

It's not the best adventure ever written, but it certainly isn't as bad as that read me file suggested. 
Report Spam   Logged
Philotomy
Veteran

Fight On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 02:43:38 pm »

Giant frogs are scary as hell.  The key is not to say "...you see a giant frog..."

A giant frog should be a bloated, amphibious horror with glistening skin and a corpse-white underbelly, squatting motionless like some loathsome idol while it watches you with expressionless, alien eyes.  When it swallows a victim (their legs feebly kicking before the final gulp), it doesn't change expression; it just swallows with a final gulp and resumes its passionless stare.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 06:02:44 pm by Philotomy » Report Spam   Logged

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 07:46:05 am »

A giant frog should be a bloated, amphibious horror with glistening skin and a corpse-white underbelly, squatting motionless like some loathsome idol while it watches you with expressionless, alien eyes.  When it swallows a victim (their legs feebly kicking before the final gulp), it doesn't change expression; it just swallows with a final gulp and resumes its passionless stare.

Very true! As I recall, my character's first encounter with a giant frog was seeing this long tongue snap out from around a corner, grab a torchbearer, and snap back dragging the guy around the corner before we could react. We were surprised in both senses of the word. Also, those giant frogs weren't some type of pushover to fight -- especially in large numbers.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum