RetroRoleplaying Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:37:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Possible Forum Replacement?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Forum Replacement?  (Read 1453 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2008, 01:09:53 pm »

I am fiddling with a PHPBB 3 forum (although I know next to nothing about PHPBB). It wouldn't have the annoying Runescape ads, but seems to be a slower system. The FireFox 3 beta I'm using as a weird problem when the page looks slow, it asks if I want to download it! Opera seems to lack this weirdness.

http://thegrid.110mb.com/retrorpg/ [Currently not working see messages below.]

We are probably better over here, although we have less control of the forum software and the ads.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:39:09 pm by randalls » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 05:18:55 pm »

The other one looked good, although the background picture was a bit annoying while scrolling, almost made me dizzy.  Smiley 

I've had no problems with this one though.
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:55:42 pm »

The other one looked good, although the background picture was a bit annoying while scrolling, almost made me dizzy.  Smiley 

I had not intended to set that as the default. (As I said, I am a complete novice with phpbb.) It's cute, but too hard on my old eyes. I've reset the default back to the phpbb 3 default which is bland but not as annoying.

I like this board fine (and am quite knowledable about SMF), but the flash ads, especially the Runescape ads, drive me crazy.
Report Spam   Logged
Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 07:34:33 pm »

I don't see any adds when browsing your forum Randall. Must be a Firefox thing.  Huh
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:03:41 pm »

I don't see any adds when browsing your forum Randall. Must be a Firefox thing.  Huh

I don't block google ads, so I see them.  If I could figure out a way to block google flash ads (and not flash in general or google ads in general) I would.
Report Spam   Logged
Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:40:10 am »

Are you using Firefox? I have no problems seeing flash items on pages (such as my favourite Zombie game), but as I said I see no ads on yours. I am running the add-on "Adblock Plus", and I see it's blocking a single item on this page, so perhaps that's why.
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:53:54 am »

Are you using Firefox? I have no problems seeing flash items on pages (such as my favourite Zombie game), but as I said I see no ads on yours. I am running the add-on "Adblock Plus", and I see it's blocking a single item on this page, so perhaps that's why.

I have Adblock Plus, but I purposely do not block Google Ads as they are often useful to me. Supposedly it's possible to block specific ads only on certain sites. I think I need to learn how to do that.

There are four google ads on this page: one small text ad in the header board, One large graphic ad with a link list ad under it at the top and another link ad at the bottom.  On many pages there is a graphic ad top and bottom which gets very annoying when they are both flash (and plugging buy god for Runescape).
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 04:36:48 pm »

It wouldn't have the annoying Runescape ads, but seems to be a slower system.

I've found out why -- it server it is on has run into a bandwidth limitation -- when it hits it everything slows to a crawl. The server is scheduled for an upgrade soon, currently scheduled for the 25th.  I still leaning toward staying here.
Report Spam   Logged
Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 04:55:57 pm »

Better the devil you know.......... Grin
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 05:30:21 pm »

Better the devil you know.......... Grin