RetroRoleplaying Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:43:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

I'm Not liking D&D 4E at All

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Not liking D&D 4E at All  (Read 1376 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2008, 08:43:54 pm »

While it probably comes as no surprise to most readers here, the more I read the details of 4th Edition. The less inclined I am to like it. It seem to have taken just about everything I did not like about 3.5 and made it worse. This description of play on on theRPGsite simply makes be shake my head: 4e: Player Impressions.

To me this sounds like a bunch of people playing beginning heroes in a superhero game, not a bunch of people fighting with first level characters in D&D. I don't think it would be possible to play Bilbo Baggins as he was at the start of his first adventure in The Hobbit in 4th Edition. However, it might be possible to play Spiderman on his first adventure.

While I'm sure there will be a lot of people who play and love 4th edition, I will not be one of them. In fact, this will be the first edition of D&D I don't play on buying anything for.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 05:33:35 pm »

While I have no interest in either playing or purchasing 4e, I still remain curious to read about it and people's opinions and experiences of it. It would be nice to be able to have a place to discuss it without all the hysteria so common elsewhere.

I used to collect D&D rule books from the different editions, but lost interest with 3e (I own a copy of the 3e PHB and that's all, and never even got to 3.5), the game had lost the "spirit" of the original, and therefore lost me.

I'm not a very creative type and I like to cherry pick ideas for my own use. If I worked for a newspaper I'd make a better Editor than a Reporter. I'm quite happy to look for inspiration from whatever edition, or game even, while ignoring the mechanics of those games.

As the forum grows I'm sure there'll be some interesting discussions in this section.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:11:12 pm »

I used to collect D&D rule books from the different editions, but lost interest with 3e (I own a copy of the 3e PHB and that's all, and never even got to 3.5), the game had lost the "spirit" of the original, and therefore lost me.

I used to have a huge collection of D&D and FRP materials. Then I got married for the first time in my mid-40s to a woman marrying for the first time in her early 40s.  We both had a complete house worth of possessions to merge into one normal-sized house. My entire room packed full of gaming materials had to be cut WAY back.  I now have PDFs of most of the old adventures I really want and a much trimmed down collection real rulebooks.
Report Spam   Logged
King_Barrowclaw
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:16:17 pm »

Well wish me luck! I purchased a copy of Keep on the Shadowfell and am running my group through it tomorrow. We're curious about it and trying to be fair-minded but it sure doesn't feel like the D&D I've come to know and love. I've read through the two booklets that come with it and looked over the flip-mats. It sure was produced on the cheap IMHO.
Report Spam   Logged
Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:34:50 am »

I hope you let us know here how it goes King B.
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 06:46:29 am »

Well wish me luck! I purchased a copy of Keep on the Shadowfell and am running my group through it tomorrow.

I hope y'all enjoy it.  Either way, I too would love a report on how it went, what you liked and did not like, etc.
Report Spam   Logged
King_Barrowclaw
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:15:03 am »

Sure, posting a report will be no problem.  Wink

I'm interested to see how the different players respond to the rule set. We have two younger newbies, one od&d fan, one 2e player and a 3e die-hard munchkin powergamer and myself of course. A real cross-section going!  Grin

Fiery Dragon has put up a download of counters for the Keep for free so I've got that. I've photocopied the pre-gens and fixed the errata corrections. (Yes, they already have errata up for it on the Wizards site. It's funny but I don't recall "Keep on the Borderlands" having errata released for it anywhere.  Wink) I've made up the "quest cards" to hand out to players (little props to remind them what they're supposed to be doing so they don't get sidetracked! wtf) and read some of the other playtest reports.

All I have to do tonight is order the pizza.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum