RetroRoleplaying Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:24:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What's Wrong With Not Liking Current RPGs?

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Wrong With Not Liking Current RPGs?  (Read 6576 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 05:03:54 pm »

I dont think there is anything wrong with not liking current RPGs, provided you actually give the rules a read through.

I don't need to read all the rules for many games if I know from reviews or from glancing through the rules that the game systems or focus of the game do not interest me.  For example, I have no interest in RPGs that focus on detailed tactical (or even just time-consuming) combat. I like fast, abstract combat. I don't need a read all the rules of a game with detailed or time-eating combat to know it is not for me.  The same with games full of angst (like most WoD games) -- they are just not my cup of tea.  I don't need to buy and read the latest edition or variant of a WoD game to know that I will have no interest in playing it.

Some new games have design concepts that I think are either much more intuitive or just simply better then old ones, but that doesnt mean the game itself is better.

"Intuitive" and "better" are both subjective terms. What is intuitive to one person may be counter-intuitive to another. "Better" is obviously in the eye of the beholder.  For example, I think OD&D is better than D&D 4e because I greatly prefer RPGs centered on exploration to RPGs centered on combat. Someone who prefers opposite will likely think I'm nuts.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum