RetroRoleplaying Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:30:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What's Wrong With Not Liking Current RPGs?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Wrong With Not Liking Current RPGs?  (Read 6597 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2008, 07:56:52 am »

I really don't get the need for everyone to like the same thing.

I'm not sure when the idea that we all had to like and buy the same things became the norm. It was fairly common when I was in grade school during the 60s. At least I can remember kids who would only be your friend if you like the same TV shows, sports, or whatever they did, but most of outgrew that silliness long before we hit junior high.

These days I often encounter it in adults. People who think I'm weird because I prefer original Star Trek (and to a lesser extent TNG) to whatever Paramount has decided is Star Trek this year) and feel the strong need to save me from this weirdness by trying to force me to watch and like later. People who are offended because I will not buy CDs from their favorite groups. Etc.

I suppose I should not be surprised that so many RPG players today seem to be offended by people who don't play the same game (and edition) they do. However, I find it strange. I don't think D&D 4.x has much in common with the type of D&D I enjoy, so I'm not going to play it. Since I am not going to stop people who like it from playing it, I just don't see why anyone should really care that I did not jump on the 3.x bandwagon and am staying clear of 4.x.

Like you, I just don't get it. Perhaps it is that "generation gap" thing?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum