RetroRoleplaying Forum
April 17, 2024, 09:05:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our new RetroRoleplaying Forum at http://www.retroroleplaying.com/forum

Home   Forum   Help Search Classifieds Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Microlite74 Released!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microlite74 Released!  (Read 10230 times)
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2008, 06:10:53 pm »

Microlite74 has been released!

Microlite74, like its parent game, Microlite20, is a trimmed down, sub-miniature version of the Primary Fantasy SRD rules that has been designed to be quick and easy to play. The goal of Microlite74, however, is to recreate the style and feel of that very first ("0e") fantasy roleplaying game published back in 1974.

This five page PDF includes variant rules based on Microlite20, a complete spell list and monster list, and a short designer's note section touching on the differences in style between "old school" and the usual style of play encountered today. Microlite74's rules were written to support the "old school" style, while retaining many of the more modern rules features of OGL games based on the 3.5 SRD. Microlite20 trimmed the fat from the 3.5 SRD, paring the game down to a fast-moving and easy to learn two-page system. Microlite74 takes the M20 system and modifies it for a 1974 style, but leaves most of the basic Microlite20 rules in place.

Those looking for a retroclone of that 0e Fantasy RPG from 1974 will be disappointed in Microlite74 as it makes no attempt to be a clone of the 0e rules, only of the feel and style of Oe play. Those looking for a 0e retroclone should take a look at Swords & Wizardry. Those looking for a way to play 0e adventures and campaigns with rules based on the popular SRD-based Microlite20 system will probably find Microlite 74 well worth the download. It's only 100K or so, what do you have to lose?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Greyharp
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:46:15 pm »

Well done Randall. I saw on your blog that you've had over 100 downloads in the first 48 hours. I look forward to reading some feedback from people who have tried it out.

Dave   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:59:34 pm »

I look forward to reading some feedback from people who have tried it out.

So do I! It's been a long time since I published anything RPG-wise and I can't wait to hear feedback.  So far, I've heard very little -- but it's generally positive. If i do a second edition, I may need to include an equipment list -- or at least some of the old school items like 10 foot poles that seem to have been dropped from later editions.
Report Spam   Logged
Kensanata
I thought I was a nice DM, but it turns out I'm not.
Veteran

I prefer less rules, many of my players don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:36:00 am »

Yeah, a little equipment list would be nice.

I have several PDFs of retro clones or summaries at home, but I don’t really know how D&D played in 74. For example: Should clerics be allowed to wear heavy armor? Conversely, does the limitation on not using edged weapons make sense at all? (Perhaps it only makes sense with respect to a tradition of having powerful magical swords and no such maces.) If we keep the name magic-users, should we also keep the name fighting-men? Shouldn’t creatures and player characters die at 0 hp instead of -STR? Should old school mechanics use no stat bonus for melee attacks? Perhaps get rid of them for ranged and magic attacks as well. You need magic attack bonus for ranged and melee touch attacks. Do the old rules have that? Just use saving throws always. Do we need two weapon fighting and light weapons in the rules? Maybe add a note that clerics don’t get any new spells at level 12.

Nitpicks: I’m not sure whether one capitalizes the word after a semicolon; I think one usually doesn’t. (Noticed that in the list of special abilities for races.) Because I’m anal about such things, I’d fix the capitalization of MIND vs. Mind in the text and change all instances of “Mind bonus” to “MIND bonus”.

I love your designer’s notes!

I like the new racial abilities.

I like the lack of extra attacks.

I love the rule on getting XP for money spent in “frivolous ways”!
Report Spam   Logged

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:36:03 am »

First of all. Thanks for the feedback. Feedback is always appreciated.

Yeah, a little equipment list would be nice.

I've added this to the list of things to definitely add in a revised edition.

For example: Should clerics be allowed to wear heavy armor? Conversely, does the limitation on not using edged weapons make sense at all? (Perhaps it only makes sense with respect to a tradition of having powerful magical swords and no such maces.)

Clerics could where heavy armor in 0e. I kept the edged weapons restrictions and the very limited MU weapons allowed to keep the fighter as the only class able to use the best magic weapons.

If we keep the name magic-users, should we also keep the name fighting-men?

This change was to separate it from that first RPG terminology-wise (i.e. was done for copyright reasons). of course, what you can them in your game is completely up to you. Just as rules police goes against the old school ideal, so does terminology police. LOL.

Shouldn’t creatures and player characters die at 0 hp instead of -STR? Should old school mechanics use no stat bonus for melee attacks? Perhaps get rid of them for ranged and magic attacks as well. You need magic attack bonus for ranged and melee touch attacks. Do the old rules have that? Just use saving throws always. Do we need two weapon fighting and light weapons in the rules?

This are things that make the Microlite20 system work well. M74 is supposed to be a version of M20 that favors the style and flavor of that first published "0e" RPG. It is not meant to completely duplicate the 0e rules.  Of course, GMs are not are not only free to tinker, but are encouraged to do so. I may need to spell this out more in the Designer's Notes as modern games seem to favor the rules as written far more than I feel is healthy for campaigns not being ran by the designers.

Maybe add a note that clerics don’t get any new spells at level 12.

Excellent point. Added to the list of things to definitely do in a revised version.

Nitpicks: I’m not sure whether one capitalizes the word after a semicolon; I think one usually doesn’t. (Noticed that in the list of special abilities for races.) Because I’m anal about such things, I’d fix the capitalization of MIND vs. Mind in the text and change all instances of “Mind bonus” to “MIND bonus”.

Noted. Proofreading help is ALWAYS greatly appreciated. It's a skill I completely lack the talent for. When I took the ASVAB Test (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) in high school years ago, I scored in the 80s and 90s in all areas but one, Clerical Speed and Accuracy -- where I scored in the 7th percentile. 93 percent of the population has more aptitude for things like proofreading and spelling and filling than I do, and it often shows. My ability has not improved much with age. Sad

I love the rule on getting XP for money spent in “frivolous ways”!

I'm glad you like it. It was a house rule I added to 0e after a few months of play. Treasure as XP worked okay, but treasure spent on new weapons, armor, etc. AND still getting XP was sort of a double-reward that I did not like. Plus "wasting" the money was very much in the tradition of heroes from swords and sorcery fiction. Conan got rich in many adventures, but usually managed to spend himself poor again in no time at all. I put it in the rules here as another way of changing things from the original for copyright reasons.

[Edit: Bad typo corrected -- see strikeout and following two words which were added.]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:59:39 pm by randalls » Report Spam   Logged
Kensanata
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 05:35:32 pm »

This are things that make the Microlite20 system work well. M74 is supposed to be a version of M20 that favors the style and flavor of that first published "0e" RPG. It is not meant to completely duplicate the 0e rules.  Of course, GMs are not are free to tinker, but are encouraged to do so. I may need to spell this out more in the Designer's Notes as modern games seem to favor the rules as written far more than I feel is healthy for campaigns not being ran by the designers.

Hehehe... Thanks for the Zen Slap. Smiley Indeed, I might be loosing my way here again.
Report Spam   Logged

Sean

Arreet !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 11:46:06 am »

My new gaming group used Microlite 74 last night. It was totally mint - the players were really involved in directing their characters actions and acting in role and as DM I felt I gave the game more flavour and built up a rapport with the players - I think I gained their trust in my rulings. I've played a fair few rules-light games over the years and quite a lot of Holmes D&D. I'm really impressed with how Microlite 74 'feels' in play - and it's so much easier to get your head around than my OD&D PDFs.

Nice one, well done !  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:28:29 pm »

I've played a fair few rules-light games over the years and quite a lot of Holmes D&D. I'm really impressed with how Microlite 74 'feels' in play - and it's so much easier to get your head around than my OD&D PDFs.

Welcome to the forum, Sean. I'm really glad M74 worked well for you and your group -- especially as it did not receive nearly as much pre-release playtesting I would have liked. I find it a bit harder to use than OD&D, but that's probably because I started with OD&D and could run a session of it in my sleep.
Report Spam   Logged
Sean

Arreet !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 02:41:42 am »

I find it a bit more consistant than M20 where I was using rules and rolls for some skills and rulings for the social skills (as there is no CHM stat - unless you houserule one). M74 is rules-enough rather than rules-lite
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 06:37:08 pm »

M74 is rules-enough rather than rules-lite

What do you think needs a bit for detail/explanation in M20?  I know greywulf is always looking to improve it.
Report Spam   Logged
Sean

Arreet !

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 12:24:57 am »

I just think I prefer to have all the rules on the page and all else is rulings in play - rather than keeping adding on house rules.

I think for beginners the Monster stat blocks could be simplified (to hit points, attack bonus, damage) to mirror terms in char gen ( but I understand why Hit Dice has ben used for compability with D&D purposes)
Report Spam   Logged
Kensanata
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 01:25:03 am »

When I decided to take the M74 monster list, I realized that there is no info on how much damage dragon breath does. I'll have to go through the list again one of these days and look for such missing info.
Report Spam   Logged

randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 11:53:02 am »

When I decided to take the M74 monster list, I realized that there is no info on how much damage dragon breath does.

Added to my list of things to fix.  Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
randalls
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 09:54:53 pm »

336 downloads of M74 in the first month. Not bad at all.

In fact, this is spurring me on to thinking of a revised and expanded version, perhaps designed to be printed as a little booklet something like one of the original 0e books. The new edition would contain corrections, a list of items characters could buy, and optional expanded rules bringing in some of the material from Oe's supplements. It would also have larger print -- one of the most requested changes. Originally, I was going to do a separate M75 game with the material from the first 0E supplement, but that seems a bit silly.

It might also include old school things like a random dungeon generator and articles on old school gaming. 

Comments and ideas are welcome.
Report Spam   Logged
Kensanata
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 02:22:16 am »

I'm not sure that a lot of expansion is needed. A list of common equipment, if you want -- although I won't be a price list in my games -- mundane stuff the players will just "have" automatically as part of their adventuring kit. I might have said otherwise in the past, but I've changed my mind. Smiley

I think having different versions (M74, M75) is silly. Just make the M20 variant that you want to use at your table.

I'm not sure I'd appreciate a random dungeon page. I'd rather have a few dungeons from this awesome thread.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum